Academic Resource Center Learning Assistants provide course-specific academic support to NYU Shanghai students in and out of the classroom. Learning Assistants work closely with faculty and ARC staff to support student success and promote independent and active learning.
- Enrolled in NYU Shanghai or Go-Local course(s) as an undergraduate student?for Fall 2021.
- Received an A- or better in the course(s) that you intend to support (Check NYU Global sites course equivalency information?here).
- Completed at least 30 credit hours at NYU Shanghai?or other NYU campuses/global sites with a minimum subject-area and overall GPA of 3.0 by the end of the semester before the start of the job.
- Possess?excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Have a positive work attitude; be responsible and approachable.
11:59 PM, Tuesday, May 11, 2021 (China Standard Time)
Learn more about the Learning Assistants?program and see a full list of supported courses
Click here to download the full?Job Description.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Go-Local students apply to be learning assistants for NYU Shanghai courses?
Can NYU Shanghai students apply to be?learning assistants for Go-Local courses?
I have not taken the course I’m interested in tutoring for, but I have taken an equivalent course on another campus. Can I still apply?
Yes. Check NYU Global sites course equivalency information here.
How do I know if I've been selected to be a Learning Assistant?
Due to the high volume of applications, individual messages to confirm receipt of applications will not be possible. Interview invitations will be sent out?starting from?mid-May unitl all positions are filled. Interviews will be conducted in mid- to?late May.?
I am currently taking the course I'd like to tutor in, and have not yet received a final grade. Can I still apply?
We strongly encourage you to apply courses for which you have already earned a grade of?A- or better. If you feel strongly about supporting a class you are currently taking, please email us with evidence supporting you ability to potentially earn a final grade of A- or above in the course. If you have met other criteria, you may receive a conditional offer pending the final grade result.
I haven't taken Calculus. But I've taken Honors Calculus and got an A. In this case, do I meet the eligibility requirements?
Yes. You can apply to be an LA for a fundamental course if you’ve obtained an A- or above in a corresponding Honors-level course.
What Our Learning Assistants Have Said About the Program
- “I learned the virtues of a tutor. I enjoyed tutoring the students and I felt very proud when many of my students came back to me telling me that they did very well on the exams thanks to me. They told me that I nailed the important points that they needed to know for the exams. I not only taught my students the concepts, but also the "how to" approach certain types of questions, that was very fruitful for the students. Despite my imperfect abilities, the students' compliments made me feel proud and gave me a sense of accomplishment.”
- “It not only helps me improve communication skills, but it also gives me a chance to communicate with other students in NYU Shanghai during this special period to increase my sense of belonging to our community.”
- “It offers students more alternatives to ask questions to improve their academic performance. As an LA, this experience not only strengthens my understanding of a certain discipline but also improves my communication and interpersonal skills.”
- “I feel as though I have received a lot of insight in both inter-student relations as well as teacher-student relations. Additionally, I have had the opportunity to review my fundamental skills through my position as an LA. This position has given me both knowledge and experience which I can apply to future work or academics. Besides this experience, I have a much more thorough grasp of how to coordinate with others to offer a better overall learning experience for students.
Read more Learning Assistant testimonials?here.